Thursday, July 31, 2014

High-Waisted No.

A couple weeks ago I wrote a post about the new skimpy swimsuit trend that I don't understand. Another trend that I don’t really understand right now is high-wasted shorts/jeans. I keep seeing high-waisted stuff in the stores. 

Many fashion blogs and retail stores say that high-waisted things are flattering on any body type, but I beg to differ. When I see people wearing high-waisted shorts or jeans out (and most of the time these girls look like they are a size 0), I feel kind of bad for them because it just looks awful to me. 

High-waisted shorts kind of remind me of a diaper.. and the jeans or pants also cut the torso off making even the skinniest girl look short and stubby. One thing that I have learned over the years- and I wish someone had told me when I was in high school- is just because something is in style right now and is fashionable- it does NOT mean you should wear it! It does not mean that it will necessarily look good on you and your body type! Just skip buying it if it doesn’t look awesome on you and get something else, or save your money and wait until a new trend comes out.
 



Here is a photo of Miley Cyrus wearing high-waisted shorts (below). She has a great body and is super fit and skinny, but these shorts are not flattering on her. In my opinion, she would look 100% better in normal non-high-waisted shorts.
 
The only person I have seen that looks good in high-waisted shorts or pants is Taylor Swift (below):


This is because she is about six-feet-tall and is model thin. When I saw her performing in the Victoria Secret  fashion show, she was taller and skinnier (and looked better) than most of the Victoria Secret models! So really.. she would probably look good in anything she wears (lucky her!). 

High-waisted jeans remind me of  stereotypical “mom jeans”. I really don’t think they look flattering. Who could forget this "horrible" outfit that Jessica Simpson wore  a couple years ago? It was all over the magazines and TV and everyone was saying she looked fat (below):
  



If Jessica Simpson wore this outfit now though, people would probably say she looked trendy and in-style! 

There is one exception... if you really do have vintage jeans that you wore in the 70s, 80s, or 90s then that is a different story- it is really cool to wear vintage clothing! But if you consider yourself a "young person", and don’t look like Taylor Swift or a super-tall high-fashion model, I would suggest avoiding this trend all together until it goes away!
Readers, what do you think about the high-waisted trend?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...