Monday, August 25, 2014

VMAs Then & Now

Spoiler alert! Last night were the MTV Music Video Awards. These days since I have DVR on my cable, I usually record the awards and then fast forward through it to see all the music performances. I don't really care to see who wins the awards anymore (haha).
I had two favorite performances this year- Taylor Swift and Iggy Azalea. Even though I don't really like Taylor Swift's new song "Shake It Off", I thought she was great in this performance and the audience loved it! Tay Swift has a lot of talent and always keeps it classy. She doesn't have to dress outrageously or humiliate herself to get attention or stay in the spotlight!
I also loved Iggy's performance of "Black Widow". As you know, I really love her new CD and she looks gorgeous and did an fabulous job rapping!

I didn't really like Beyonce's performance. It lasted way too long and I really just wanted her to stop. She is really talented but her performance was way overly done and lasted (seriously) 15 minutes. I also have only liked about 2 songs that Beyonce has ever released without Destiny's Child, so I wasn't expecting to like her performance anyways. Sorry Beyonce!
Also I had a feeling that Miley Cyrus would do something to be in the spotlight again this year, especially after her sickening performance with Robin Thicke last year (gross!) and I was right. She sent a homeless man on stage to accept her award for Best Video of The Year. I thought he sent out a great message in his speech about awareness of the runaway and homeless population in the USA, but I thought Miley's tears seemed fake. I would have really liked what she did if she haddn't cried all those crocodile tears- actresses can cry on cue and she should have held it together!
So in the spirit of last night's awards show, I have put together some of my favorite performances from the MTV Music Video Awards over the years.

Britney Spears's "Slave 4 U" (2001) (Still my #1 favorite VMA performance of all time!)
Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" (2000)
Christina  Aguilera (feat Fred Durst) "Come on Over" (2000)
(I remember wanting red highlights  and red pants like her's haha!)
Spice Girls "Say You'll Be There" (1997) (I loved them!)
N*Sync's Reunion Performance (2013)


 Britney, Christina and Madonna's Performance (2003)
Lady Gaga "Paparazzi" (2009)- This performance was kind of gross because she acted like she died a gruesome death at the end, but I had to include her because she is such an amazing performer and always puts on a dramatic and artistic show!
The VMAs really aren't what they used to be. It has become less about playing music, singing and dancing and more about a contest between who can shock the audience most, but I always tune in every year. Readers, what did you guys think of the VMAs this year?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...