Monday, January 12, 2015

Golden Globes 2015

Last night were the Golden Globes! I was hoping that some of my favorites from the last year- Wild, Gone Girl, Night Crawler, True Detective or Girls would win and I was so disappointed that none of them did! I was even more disappointed that I don't think I have seen a single movie or TV show that did win! Oh well.. I guess I need to see some of the winners (especially Boyhood, Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel).

But on a more serious note, what really struck me last night was seeing the actors and actresses sporting the slogan "Je Suis Charlie".













Je Suis Charlie is a slogan adopted by supporters of free speech and freedom of expression after the January 7, 2015 massacre in which 12 people were killed at the offices of the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris, France. The slogan is supporting those that were killed at the Charlie Hebdo shooting and supports freedom of speech and resistance to armed threats. Many journalists embraced the expression as a rallying cry for the freedom of self-expression.

As a former journalist and current blogger, these attacks in Paris really hit home for me. It breaks my heart that these journalists and editors at the satirical weekly newspaper (which features cartoons, reports, and jokes) were murdered for their words. It is one of the most disturbing terrorist attacks that I've ever heard of. I am so grateful to live in a country that values free speech and individuality. I have been to Paris twice and it is truly one of the most amazing cities on the face of the earth. My heart goes out to the friends and family of all of the victims of the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

Cartoonists around the world reacted to the cold-blooded assassination of their colleagues the best way they knew how- with powerful drawings worth a thousand words. The drawings united cartoonists in grief and they sent forth a message- we must not, will not and should not be silenced. Here is one of the inspirational cartoons:

Photo Credit: New Pittsburgh Courier Online 

I may write a post with more Je Suis Charlie cartoons at a later time- they are such meaningful art! If you would like to show your support for free speech, you can order some Je Suis Charlie merchandise here! Be safe, everyone!

Proud to be an American,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...