Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Oxford Trip

I hope everyone had a fun Labor Day weekend! We had such a fab weekend visiting my college town in Oxford, Mississippi! I had not been back since 2009 and I was very happy to see that not much has changed there over the years.

We first got in on Friday night and we went straight to eat on the historic Square in Oxford. We ate at Boure, which has moved into the building where Downtown Grill was. We loved the cajun food we had there- the po-boy I had was amazing!!! Then I made sure to show Adam the epic bar, The Library, which grew from one bar to three bars-in-one (sports bar, club and patio bar) over the 4 years that I was a student at Ole Miss. I remember each year that the new section of the bar was built. This is the only bar I have ever been to with so many things going on at once!

After that, since both Parrish's (my favorite bar when I was in college) and Pearl Street have closed in the last few years, we went to have a drink at the Burgundy Room on the square (I have always loved this bar and it has gotten even more fun since I moved!)


Adam and I at the Burgundy Room



Saturday morning we got up and went to The Grove to tailgate on the Ole Miss campus for the Ole Miss v. UT Martin game. If you haven't heard of The Grove, it is one of the most famous tailgating areas in the country! (I wrote a post about it before here!) For every college game day you will find a tent covering almost every square inch of the center of the Ole Miss campus. I wish I had gotten pictures while I was there of the tents- so many of them have chandeliers, tvs and very fancy food!



Us under the walk of champions in The Grove 


This was one of the hottest days I have ever experienced tailgating in The Grove. The weather the entire time that day was between 94 and 100 degrees and it felt like a sauna... the type of heat that reminds me of New Orleans. So we ended up skipping the game since it was so bizarrely hot but Ole Miss won big! The heat didn't phase the Ole Miss fans much though, and it was fun seeing so many Ole Miss fans wear white for the white out home game.


My friend Whitney and I in the Grove 


After the game we went back to The Library patio bar to get out of the heat. We then went to a new bar called Rafter's to eat which is a brand new bar that I was really impressed by. It has three levels and a cooling steam machine, 10 tvs on every corner, an open area under the sky, etc. inside. 

On Sunday we went to Taylor Grocery, which may not look like much but it is well known for having the best catfish in the South. It was a 2-hour wait to be seated (yes- this restaurant is worth waiting 2 hours for!), so many people tailgated as they waited in the parking lot. 


  Taylor Grocery 


Adam and I had already had enough tailgating for the weekend, so we walked around and looked at the little shops and farms near the restaurant. The food was insanely good and the live music was so fun, so I will have to write a later post to tell you all more about it! 

On Monday we made sure to visit Rowan Oak, which was the author, William Faulkner's home. It is one of my very favorite places in Oxford and it is dear to my heart. The home is so beautiful that it looks almost fake in pictures! 


Us outside of Rowan Oak  



The home was built in 1848 and Faulkner lived here from 1930 to 1962. He named the home Rowan Oak after the mythical rowan tree- and he wrote many of his novels and short stories while living here. His notes for some of his writings can still be found on the walls of this home. In the 70s, his daughter sold the home to Ole Miss, where Faulkner went to school, and it is now maintained as a literary and historical landmark by Ole Miss. Oxford and Ole Miss have a huge amount of pride for Rowan Oak and William Faulkner, a native Mississippian, since he is one of the most famous authors in Southern American Literature. 



Rowan Oak








Horse barn where Faulkner kept his horses 


I made sure to show Adam as much as I could about Oxford during the 3 short days we were there! We are already wanting to go back. If you ever are looking for a random place to visit in a road trip, definitely visit Oxford. Everything about it is so special- there is so much to do (even when it's not football season!) and there is so much great FOOD! I am very lucky to have been able to be a student in such an amazing town that is so fun to visit. I will be sure to write a later post about where to eat in Oxford later on this blog! Thanks for reading! What did y'all do for Labor Day weekend?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...