Thursday, April 7, 2016

The People v. O.J. Simpson





Did any of you catch the finale of The People v. O.J. Simpson this week? I was amazed by the entire series. I understand a lot of people didn't watch the show because they didn't want to relive the tragedy of the case, but if you are a younger person like me who was too young to really understand what was going on at the time of the trial, I really suggest watching the entire series!

I was only 10 years old when the 10 month trial was going on. I still remember being in PE class at Ensworth when the verdict was announced. Some of us were happy, and others were sad.. I just remember lots of yelling and debate between all of us. We didn't understand what was going on and the seriousness of it all.. to us it was like a movie or tv show.. not real life!

Since then I had done a lot of research on my own on the fascinating and disappointing story. The monumental  case was brought up to me a lot in my classes in college - in my psychology class, several of my journalism classes and even in my paralegal classes after college. There were many reasons why this historic case kept being brought up in school, such as the influence of media and television cameras in the courtroom, psychological influence on a jury system, the influence of evidence on jurors, etc.

There were so many fascinating details in this tv show that I had no idea about from my previous understanding of the case. From what I have read, the show didn't fabricate much and really stuck to the facts of what really happened before and during the trial. 

The show made me cry, made me laugh and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout all 8 episodes. I found the show especially funny at times from my personal experiences working in the legal field. 

The dark humor really made me chuckle at times. I don't like John Travolta much but him and Nathan Lane were really my two favorite actors in the series. They were SO funny and played their parts so seriously and well. John Travolta's spray tan and facial expressions were hysterical!







I also loved Sarah Paulson's acting as Marcia Clark. I really felt for her character.. I can't believe how horribly the media treated Marcia when she was just doing her job and standing up for what was right!





I hope people watch the show and see how shaky our legal system can be. I hope that viewers see that jurors should look at evidence and facts, and make more of an effort to find justice for victims instead of going off of politics and conspiracy theories. It is very frightening to think that the two victims were completely forgotten about during the media circus and work of O.J.'s dream team of attorneys. 





I am now left wanting to learn more.. I'm ready to watch some documentaries and read as many books as I can about the trial and the stories behind it! As upset as I am about the outcome of the trial, it makes me happy to see that karma still got to O.J. after the trial in many ways, some of which were addressed on the tv show.

Anyways, what did you all think of the show? Let me know what you thought of the actors and story line!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...